Your Ultimate Guide to School Formal Dressing
It’s that time of year again: ball season is here. It’s time for you to make lasting memories. For a school ball to be successful, there are three things you must have: A good suit, a date and good music.
While Suit Vault can’t help with the playlist, we do have your ball suit covered. After all, if you look great and feel good, your date is sure to notice the extra effort you put in.
We’re sharing all our insider tips to help you prepare for arguably the biggest event of the year.
School balls are a formal occasion, and traditionally, men are expected to wear a suit. There are a few different styles of suits that are popular for school balls:
The classic black tuxedo
A timeless choice that is appropriate for any formal occasion. It can be paired with a black bow tie and dress shoes for a formal look.
A dark-coloured suit in a traditional cut
This could be a navy blue or charcoal grey; both are popular choices for school balls. These suits can be paired with a dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes for a more formal look.
The slim-fit or skinny-fit suit in a lighter colour
For a more modern and trendier look, some men may choose to wear a slim-fit or skinny-fit suit in a lighter colour, such as light grey or beige. These suits can be paired with a dress shirt and dress shoes for a stylish and fashionable look.
It’s important to remember that school balls are formal occasions, so it’s important to dress appropriately. It’s a good idea to avoid wearing jeans, sneakers, or other casual clothing to a school ball. Book in your appointment today and let us walk you through options for your school ball.
Factors to consider when planning what to wear
There are several factors to consider when planning what to wear to a formal event like a school ball:
- The dress code: Make sure you understand the dress code for the event. Is it black tie, white tie, or semi-formal? This will give you an idea of how formal your outfit should be.
- The venue: Consider the venue of the event. Is it outdoors or indoors? Is it a formal ballroom or a more casual setting? The location of the event can influence the formality of your outfit.
- The weather: Make sure to check the weather forecast for the day of the event and dress appropriately. If it’s going to be cold, you may want to wear a suit jacket or a coat. If it’s going to be hot, you may want to opt for a lighter-weight suit or a linen suit.
- Your personal style: Choose an outfit that reflects your personal style. You want to feel comfortable and confident in what you’re wearing, so don’t be afraid to add your own personal touch to your outfit.
- Coordinating with your date: If you’re attending the event with a date, consider coordinating your outfits to create a cohesive look. However, make sure not to match too closely or you may look like you’re in a costume.
Matching your date’s outfit
Here are a few tips for coordinating your outfits with your date:
- Choose a colour scheme: Choose a few colours that you both like and use those as the basis for your outfits. For example, you could both wear black and white, or shades of blue.
- Match the formality: Make sure that your outfits are roughly the same level of formality. If your date is wearing a formal gown, you should wear a tuxedo or a formal suit. If your date is wearing a more casual dress, you can wear a less formal suit or even dress pants and a button-down shirt.
- Add your own personal style: Don’t be afraid to add your own personal touch to your outfit. Wear a tie or pocket square in a colour or pattern that you like or choose a suit with a unique cut or detailing.
Remember, the most important thing is to be comfortable and confident in what you’re wearing. If you both feel good in your outfits, you’ll look great together. At Suit Vault we have been suiting up gents for their school balls for years now and pride ourselves in teaching them how to wear a suit right.
Buying vs. Renting Tuxedos
There are pros and cons to both buying and renting a tuxedo for a formal occasion like a school ball. Here are a few things to consider:
Renting a tuxedo is typically less expensive than buying one. You can expect to pay anywhere from $50 to $200 to rent a tuxedo, depending on the quality of the tux and the rental company. On the other hand, tuxedos can start at around $500 and go up in price from there, depending on the quality and designer.
When you rent a tuxedo, you usually must choose from a limited selection of sizes and styles. This can make it difficult to get a perfect fit. When you buy a tuxedo, you have more control over the fit and can have it tailored to your exact measurements.
If you’re looking for a specific style of a tuxedo, it may be more difficult to find it at a rental shop. Buying a tuxedo gives you more flexibility in terms of style and allows you to choose from a wider selection of options.
If you only need a tuxedo for a one-time occasion, like a school ball, it may make more sense to rent. However, if you think you’ll need a tuxedo for future formal events, it may be worth it to invest in one.
Suit Vault Made to Measure Process
If you have the budget, getting a suit made to measure can be a good alternative to renting one for a special occasion. Some advantages of having a suit bespoke tailored include:
- Better fit: A bespoke tailored suit will fit you perfectly, whereas a rental suit may not fit as well. This can make a big difference in how the suit looks and feels on you.
- More style options: When you have a suit bespoke tailored from Suit Vault, you have more control over the style, fabric, and details of the suit. This allows you to create a look that is uniquely yours.
- Long-term value: A Suit Vault bespoke tailored suit can be a long-term investment, as it can be worn for many years and can be altered as your body changes. In contrast, rental suits are only worn for a short period of time and must be returned after the event.
Suit Vault’s made to measure offering is like no other in Perth.
Firstly, we will sit down with you for a consultation. Here we will discuss your specific needs and preferences. This is a good opportunity to share any ideas you have for your suit and to get a sense of the Suit Vaults bespoke tailoring style and expertise. You will need to choose the fabric and style of the suit with the help of our tailor’s guidance. They will be able to recommend options based on your preferences and the event you will be attending.
Next, we will take your measurements. We will get you in one of our garments, so you get a feel of what is to come and take over 35 specific measurements to ensure that the suit fits you perfectly.
After about 6-8 weeks your suit will be ready for a fitting and possible adjustment. Once the suit is complete, you can pick it up and try it on to ensure that it fits and looks exactly as you envisioned.
Ultimately, the decision to buy, rent or bespoke tailoring a tuxedo depends on your budget, the fit and style you’re looking for, and how often you think you’ll need to wear a tuxedo. Book in for a detailed styling consultation with us in preparation for your ball. We will chat about options on what to wear and how to get it right for the night.